Wheeling Firefighters were called to a house on Locust Ave., in Woodsdale for the report of an oven on fire. Engine 10 arrived on the scene in about 1 minute, being located a few blocks away. Engine 2, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Squad 2, Duty Chief C-4 also responded. Companies found an oven on a self-cleaning mode that was filling the house up with smoke. Crews ventilated the structure using positive pressure ventilation methods with fans and by opening windows to remove the smoke. Companies worked on scene for about 30 minutes and cleared after the smoke was removed.
Wheeling Firefighters were called to a house on Leadwood Ave., in Woodsdale (off Knox Lane near Linsly School) for the report of a kitchen on fire. Dispatchers advised Duty Chief C-2 that was “heavy smoke” visible on the camera, so C-2 called for the 10-96 “All Hands Working”. Engine 10, Engine 2, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 (with a 4 person crew) and Duty Chief C-2 responded to the call. Engine 10 arrived on scene to find fire in the kitchen of the house and hooked up to the hydrant and stretched lines. The fire was quickly contained with no addition extension to other areas of the house. Overhaul was performed and the companies cleared about 2 hours after time of tone.
Wheeling Firefighters were called to Heiskell Ave., in Woodsdale this morning for a report of structure fire. Someone driving past the house saw an electrical outlet sparking on the front porch. Engine 10, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Rescue 1, Squad 2 and Duty Chief C-4 of “C” Platoon responded to the call. Hydrant locations were at Heiskell and Poplar and Heiskell and Edgwood Sts. Engine 10 arrived on scene and determined there was a small porch fire. Ladder 1’s Captain used a saw to cut an access hole under the porch and crews stretched one 1 3/4″ attack hose line from Engine 10. After access was gained, crews were able to knock the fire down quickly. The resident was able to safely evacuate and seek shelter at a neighbor’s house. There were no injuries. Companies were back in service in under an hour. Fire Investigators determined that peat moss was smoldering causing the porch to catch fire.