Wheeling Firefighters were alerted to a report of a structure fire on Friday evening, June 2, 2017. The fire was reported to be on East First Street in North Wheeling. Rescue 1 arrived on scene first with heavy fire showing from the the roof and C-3 ordered the incident to be made 10-96 or “All Hands Working”. Engine 2 arrived on scene as the first due engine company and took a hydrant and stretched multiple hand lines into operation. The house was reported to be occupied and Rescue 1 performed a quick search with negative results. C-3 ordered the exterior attack. There was heavy fire in the attic area and top floor. Crews worked for several hours and were succussfully able to bring the fire under control. They hit hot spots and checked for further extension. Companies on the scene were Engine 2, Engine 5, Engine 4, Ladder 1, Rescue 1, Squads 1, 2 & 7, Unit 90 Investigator, PIO, Duty Chief C-3, Fire Chief C-1 and Wheeling PD. “B” Platoon was on Duty with several “A” Platoon call outs.
A full response of Wheeling Fire Department was sent to the 230 block of Incline Ave in Mozart late Tuesday evening 5/30/17 for the report of smoke coming from a structure. Engine 4 arrived on scene with C-3 and companies found heavy smoke in the attic of the vacant house. Crews made entry and found fire in the attic. Engine 4 took a hydrant and stretched lines into operation and attacked the fire. Crews also vented the structure. Companies made quick work of the fire and it was knocked down in minutes of the initial attack. They checked for extension and hit hot spots. Just shortly after midnight, all companies were clear.
Wheeling Firefighters were called to a house on Locust Ave., in Woodsdale for the report of an oven on fire. Engine 10 arrived on the scene in about 1 minute, being located a few blocks away. Engine 2, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Squad 2, Duty Chief C-4 also responded. Companies found an oven on a self-cleaning mode that was filling the house up with smoke. Crews ventilated the structure using positive pressure ventilation methods with fans and by opening windows to remove the smoke. Companies worked on scene for about 30 minutes and cleared after the smoke was removed.
Wheeling Firefighters were called to a house on Leadwood Ave., in Woodsdale (off Knox Lane near Linsly School) for the report of a kitchen on fire. Dispatchers advised Duty Chief C-2 that was “heavy smoke” visible on the camera, so C-2 called for the 10-96 “All Hands Working”. Engine 10, Engine 2, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 (with a 4 person crew) and Duty Chief C-2 responded to the call. Engine 10 arrived on scene to find fire in the kitchen of the house and hooked up to the hydrant and stretched lines. The fire was quickly contained with no addition extension to other areas of the house. Overhaul was performed and the companies cleared about 2 hours after time of tone.
Wheeling Firefighters were called to the 3900 block of Wetzel Street in South Wheeling early Wednesday morning (3/22/17) for the report of a structure fire. The caller said her house was on fire and she was out but she still had animals inside. Engine 4, stationed only blocks away, was on scene in minutes and found a 2 story wood frame house with fire showing. Duty Chief C-2 called for the 10-96 and made the incident “All Hands Working”. Engine 2, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Rescue 1, Squad 2, C-2, C-1 and Unit 90 also responded. Wheeling PD was also on the scene.
Companies made an aggressive interior attack, stretching 3 lines into the seat of the fire. They were able to knock down the fire quickly. They checked for extension and hit hot spots. 1 pet cat was rescued by firefighters.
Wheeling Firefighters were called to Heiskell Ave., in Woodsdale this morning for a report of structure fire. Someone driving past the house saw an electrical outlet sparking on the front porch. Engine 10, Engine 5, Ladder 1, Rescue 1, Squad 2 and Duty Chief C-4 of “C” Platoon responded to the call. Hydrant locations were at Heiskell and Poplar and Heiskell and Edgwood Sts. Engine 10 arrived on scene and determined there was a small porch fire. Ladder 1’s Captain used a saw to cut an access hole under the porch and crews stretched one 1 3/4″ attack hose line from Engine 10. After access was gained, crews were able to knock the fire down quickly. The resident was able to safely evacuate and seek shelter at a neighbor’s house. There were no injuries. Companies were back in service in under an hour. Fire Investigators determined that peat moss was smoldering causing the porch to catch fire.